2.10.2008

Day One

Two days after closing we were already at it. Neither of us could wait to to rip out the lovely carpeting. It was one big asthma attack waiting to happen. It's amazing how much cleaner it already feels! Next up... the revolting dropped ceilings... Or maybe the fake wood panelling. Ugh!
Here's a before and after of the "creative bricklaying" room...
After - this room has some sort of adhesive on top of the hardwood that we will have to sand off. Look like maybe there was linoleum at one time?
Anyway, it was hard to get a good shot.
(click on any photo to enlarge)

Here's a closer shot that shows the cool, concentric square layout of the hardwood (not in most of the other rooms btw)
The drywall room before...
(This will probably be Joe's office/music room initially)


and after.. I'm loving the wide plank floors.

Here are the front stairs before...
and after (+Bernie)

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great to see the before pictures... gives us a scope of what's to be done!

FYI... the adhesive on the floors likely can't be sanded off... it will gum up the sandpaper. You will probably have to scrape it up before sanding. I'm looking to do this with some of my flooring.

Hallie&Joe said...

oooooh thanks for the tip Jennifer! Hallie

iloveupstate.com said...

If you let me play with Bernie (I have dog envy) I will give you the name & number of my floor refinisher (he's great and not terribly expensive). Your floors are awesome!

hallie said...

I think the floors will end up being a DIY proj but now that I think of it - do you have a fireplace dude? I want to have someone come bid getting my fireplace re-opened or whatever. I hear it's insanely expensive but I must find out for sure before I let the dream die.

iloveupstate.com said...

I don't - but I have an awesome general contractor that probably knows someone. I'll ask.

I've decided that Bernie is named after Bernie Worrell.

Amanda said...

Great newel post.