1.23.2009

More Cold Weather Plumbing Fun

So... another week of spending $$ to avoid going down like woolly mammoths.
The boiler stopped working so the heat went out so the pipes froze again.
You'll just have to take my word for it that it was a total blast.
Anyway, the good news is that we didn't have to replace the boiler which would be a total financial nightmare, we just had to get new circulator pumps and other awesome stuff like that. Seriously, the next time I spend that much money there had better be at least one pair of fabulous boots in the back seat of my car.
There were three different people holding blow torches or heat guns at various points around the house until things suddenly started moving again. Drama.

But that's not the worst part. We now have a mystery smell going on in the basement which is causing me to contemplate suicide.
Please don't post a ton of comments about how poor air quality or exposure to sewer gasses could kill me and my little dog too. I'm all too clear.
Welcome to little outhouse on the f'n prairie.
Anyway it's unconnected with the last problem, but I think it might have something to do with the freezing weather, maybe a drain somewhere does not go where it is supposed to and we've been blissfully unaware until the ground froze. Who knows? I can tell you that it is not a dry drain, or an uncapped drain. We've been through all that.
We have plumber number three coming tomorrow. Two others "solved" it already.
Update: third plumber has no idea.
But here's a hint of the magnitude of the problem - we have found zero, I repeat zero vent stacks.
That's right, no venting anywhere.
yeah...I know.

6 comments:

Renovation Therapy said...

Is there a lot of crawl space down there? Two winters ago we had a FOUL ASS smell that was coming up. An opossum had eaten all the mouse poisen in the basement and had the squirts from one end of the crawl space to the other. That was one sick ass opossum...it smelled terrible till I bribed my nephew with a pile of $20s, a shovel and a scarf to tie over his nose.

hallie said...

OK I am alternately laughing and revolted.
It's a total walk in basement for about 50% of the house, then the rest crawlspace. But I doubt its critters. I think its sewage. It tends to come and go in relation to running water in certain bathrooms.
It is so so so grody.

Hallie and Joe said...

I never thought I'd say this, but I WISH it was possum shidt.

Anonymous said...

Could be that the sewer pipe out to the street broke and b/c of this you have some blockage, some plumbers can send a camera down the pipe to check this, very high tech...good luck.

Hallie and Joe said...

Yeah, we will probably have to do the camera route. Yipee! Who doesn't love paying someone $85 an hour?

Shane and Casey said...

Ugh, sounds like a blast. Hopefully you can get that smell under control. Nothing ruins a living area like a foul smell.