12.26.2009

Sleep Nook How-to

Here's a picture of the final product of our little sleep-nook project. As ramshackle as out pad is, we still get a lot of visitors. Friends come up from the city often just to unwind and chill out. We love that, and want to make it as comfortable as possible. That's why we have a big, huge bed smack dab in what will eventually be the living room.

The first thing I did was drape the hell out of the (circa 1950/1960's) closet that had gobbled up a nice chunk of the floor plan. I used a staple gun and tons of Russian linen. Just kidding. It was actually a bunch of Ikea curtains (but they are linen and were made in Russia). Have you noticed how everything is Belgian linen this and Belgian linen that in the design world these days? It's friggin linen people! Anyway. I covered all of the crumbly plaster closet walls with it. Though my flash is acting wacky, its a nice greigy, nubby vibe in there now.

My goal: to not have guests lying in bed going "Oh my god, they're making me sleep in a friggin closet!"
My cost: $0 - Joe got these a few years back from The Apprentice, and I've been hoarding them for a project like this ever since. Thank you mister Trump! I still have a few which I think I'll sew into pillows.

There was only about 10 inches of space on each side of the bed - so bedside tales were an issue. I knew it wouldn't be officially cozy if guests couldn't read in bed...

So then I remembered an old Apartment Therapy post about making shelving out of books.
I also remembered that AT readers lost their minds over it. Because like, BOOK MURDERER!! Or some shidt.

Why look, there's one of my beautiful little shelves now.

And there's its partner. As you can see from this view, the spine was broken on this book. I found a pair of big, sturdy, matching books at Goodwill for a total of 50 cents. They weren't the prettiest ones there, but the dimensions were right and the fact that they were a matching pair clenched it.


As you may have guessed, this was a super easy process. First, Joe drilled pilot holes in the bottom of the book. Then he attached a bracket. We could have gone prettier on the brackets, but I wanted an invisible look so we went cheapo.


The books are "Who's Who of American Women" edition 2 and 3 (1964-65). Neither of my grandmothers were in them. So as far as I am concerned, they are crap.


Just kidding. You should know that I LOVE books. My father has an amazing rare book collection and I am an avid reader. So calm down. But listen, I got these at Goodwill where they'd undoubtedly been sitting for years. I feel no guilt. I think these will be admired more here than they would have been there. And don't get me started on how many brand new books are pulped each year, you Kindle loving heathens. Aye, aye, aye.

But if you just HAVE to stage a Peta-like rescue mission, shoot me an email. I'll give you our street address. Just come and go quietly in the night, so Bernie doesn't bark, K?

Here's an action shot of Joe screwing it to the wall. He put a 2 x 4 behind the drapery so that the shelf wouldn't suck my draping job in too much - and also so that it wouldn't fall right off of the crumbly plaster walls.


Here's the ugly underneath. We cut a slit in the draping, to hide the bottom half of the bracket.


Then I topped each shelf with these little bedside lamps I got for free from my friend Dawn's house sale (I helped man the sale and got lots of unsold goodies at the end). I bought new shades at Lowes for $6.50 each. They aren't my dream shades or anything, but they work wonderfully here, I think. Soft, cozy glow.

Ta-da!

Other side:

Viola - a cozy sleep-nook open for visitors.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very cool, including the butterfly tray! I'm a book lover, too, but agree completely with your reasoning. And now, if people want to find out Who's Who, at least among women, they know where to go...
Barbara H.

erin said...

Hallie, I love how innovative you are with your solutions! Well done!

us said...

Thanks ladies!
xx
H.

Cha Cha said...

I love it and I love that you used books. I love books. THANKS FOR SHARING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

Jenni said...

So very cozy. I like.

Iheartfashion said...

Love it!
The book deserved it.

Decorina said...

Great work. I found you through Decorno...and I have really enjoyed reading your blog.

Sarah said...

I absolutly love the butterfly tray and must find one for myself. It reminds me of when I was a little girl, drowning dozens of butterflies in rubbing alcohol each summer.