9.24.2008

An Archaeological Dig Through My Walls

Behold: a wall of beautiful faux wood paneling in a nice beige-with-a-touch-of-salmon-for-the-people shade. Now, pretty much anyone who sees a wall like this has the same thought, and that thought is, "What more could one want from a wall covering? This is the most perfectly stunning wall covering I have ever seen!" I know! But wait, it gets better!


Here's what I found underneath! I know! It's like I won the lottery. Bucept instead of foldin money, I was awarded a lifetime supply of shiny, wood-like decor! And yet, oh yes, there is more...


Here's what was underneath that. Yepsies, what you are looking at is the same orange artichoke and mushroom-bouquet wallpaper that I found in the upstairs kitchen. These archaeological digs of mine are sort of helping me get the vibe of the former floor plan , and I guess this room (the large upstairs living space with the belly-button windows) was once several rooms and one corner was a part of the glorious, citrusy majesty that was the former upstairs kitchen. So yay! More of that. But... guess what was underneath?

Some awesome split-pea green lead paint! Luckily it comes off in big wheezy, brain damaging chips. Which is how I discovered what was underneath...
Some really delicate, hand painted daisy wallpaper (ehem ontheceilingtoo) which I kinda love. And you can already see what I found underneath that - this really bold green wallpaper which looks Victorian to me. click to enlarge.

So - that's all for now - does anyone know how to get layers of stuff off without ruining all the stuff underneath? I would love to be able to get a better look at the wallpaper on the very bottom layer.

4 comments:

Five and Diamond Vintage said...

Depending on how patient you are and how good you are with an exacto knife, you could create a nice little swatch of the two papers to be left on the walls and preserved (like under plexiglass with a frame around it.), paying homage to a little piece of the house's formal glory, yadda, yadda...
The white parts are the plaster, so that green Victorian stuff is the bottom layer and that's virtually impossible to get off without completely shredding it. (If you are removing all the plaster you can just soak a big chunk of wall in the bathtub, too)
You can mist-pray or put a damp sponge on the daisy layer to loosen it and get down to the older stuff. Don't over wetten though, the inks can be real runny. Sometimes just dampening it will make top layers peel easily and beautifully.
It's tedious to gently roll/peel away the tops layers but often very rewarding.

I've done a LOT of this stuff-- and a have a huge collection of wonderful wallpaper scraps from all over this town. Let me know if you need any help.
~lisa

Five and Diamond Vintage said...

Uh, I meant formER glory. ( yikes)

Hallie and Joe said...

I gotcha!
My comment typos are the bane of my existence. Anyway - thanks for the tips - super helpful! I've only shopped at your awesome store a few times but the dress I bought there is one of my all time faves.

rh said...

Ditto what 5&Diamond said. Even if you cover up most of the wall, you can at least leave a square uncovered from each era. You can lay it out as you would artwork hanging on your wall. Even put frames around them if you want.