3.07.2008

Stair Inspiration

I Love Upstate left me a comment about my stairs - she likes the worn look and thinks I shouldn't paint them. I totally agree. Here are a few pics of my inspiration stairs. I found them in a beautiful brownstone-restaurant in Brooklyn and shamelessly snapped away. I want to do some sort of groovy stencil but maybe a little less cute than this one. I don't know... can anyone think of a semi-edgy stencil? I just want to avoid Holly-Hobby land which isn't easy when you like distressed stuff. I think we should probably seal the exposed wood with something non-shiny. Otherwise it's going to splinter off really quickly and won't ever feel clean. Welcome to the fascinating inner-workings of my brain.



7 comments:

iloveupstate.com said...

Urban Outfitters had some cool stencils last year. I have one of a swallow from them. Might be able to pick sme up on ebay. Also, there are lots of "bilk" things everywhere (glorified vinyl stickers). You could also do words...I've seena lot of that lately. Sort of like that tunnel in the subway in Times Square that has some poem I've never quite understood along the ceiling.

iloveupstate.com said...

BLIK not bilk. Too much saki.

Now I have go buy the Keith Haring ones:

http://www.whatisblik.com/walldecals.html

iloveupstate.com said...

You gonna update this damn blog?!??!


:)

Hallie&Joe said...

AH! I know - sorry! I went to Memphis last weekend cause my grandmother turned 90. This weekend it's back to proj-ing out in Hudson. Swear swear swear!

amy t sharp said...

blik is cool...I am also looking for inspiration for my staircase :)

Green Fairy said...

Stencil Library has some very cool designs, everything from Ottoman to Regency to Celtic. Check out the "Garden Room" especially. Not cheap, but very unique.

Hallie&Joe said...

I LOOOOOOOVE the stencil library. My favorites are the feathers. The gigantic peacock feather is super tempting.