5.28.2008

Hermes in Hudson???

So we finally got to go up and spend the weekend in Hudson and let me tell you it was awesome. Among other things we went to a really fun barbecue, bought a dorm fridge (twice), and got to participate in "grievance day" which involves standing in line with everyone else in town to appeal your property assessment. But I'll get to all that later. Here's the sitch. As you may or may not know, Hudson is not really a small town, Its a small city. It's actually very urban in certain ways. There are some definite gentrification issues - major economic disparity - and it is weird to see places like Face Stockholm on main street in a town where the biggest employer is the hospital. So when I walked by this storefront I did a double take. Are you kidding? A Hermes store in Hudson?
Exhibit A:


I will admit that my first thought was, "Yay! My property value is going to go up!"
But it was quickly followed by a huge pile of other, more skeptical ones. I mean the stores on either side aren't exactly Rodeo Drive material. It was jarring. The poppies on the window were really pretty... and those boxes are so iconic... I guess it must be real... right?


But something still didn't smell right to me. Now keep in mind that I am the girl who hung up on a radio deejay three times when he was trying to tell me that I'd won a trip to New York (I lived in Boulder Colorado at the time). Of course, my roommate (who it turned out had really won the trip) and he had a huge laugh listening to the hangups played over and over on the radio. My point is that I'm a wee bit jaded. But... let's take a closer look. Mkay?

Call me kooky, but doesn't that look an awful lot like an enclosed air conditioner? That saggy bottom doesn't look like the sort of detail Hermes would overlook, does it? They kinda have their shidt together over there at the Herm dontcha know. I loved the Hermes H watch that I had... till I left it in a FRIGGIN CAB one morning. But I digress.

So what do you think? My theory is that it's an art installation meant as a commentary on the fancification of Hudson. But theres a good chance that I don't know what I'm talking about.

8 comments:

Jenni said...

My first thought was the H was not right. (Not that I enter a Hermes store often.)

So I go to the faithful Google and find.

http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CountryMapView?storeId=10202&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&countryId=57

renovationtherapy said...

The font is wrong...I bet it's a new shop...and one of the fancy Hudson boys is having a bit of fun.

My Mom...didn't realize that Hudson had a huge gay population. I had to tell her --- and then she said "is that why there are so many pairs of men shopping?!?!".

Hallie&Joe said...

As soon as I saw the first grown man in a baby blue searsucker suit strolling down Warren Street, I knew I was dealing with a level of gayness heretofore unknown. The gay pop is definitely one of the big plusses of Hudson IMO.

Mary said...

I think it's some kind of Upstate-Hermes-Owner pet store.... but maybe also some kind of installation of sorts.... The weirdest thing was the long standing "security cameras not installed yet" sign that was posted in the windows. Kinda reminded me of a mock street sign I found in a dumpster when I was twelve that read "confusion is our most important product." I always loved that sign, but never quite understood. Of course, I was twelve. The implications are more clear at 31.

iloveupstate.com said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you had a scandelously good time.

Also...just an FYI, when you click your name on my blog (when you leave comments) it goes to a spam blog that's been set up to resemble your url:

http://www.holyhudson.blospot.com/

the S and P are flopped

Hallie&Joe said...

I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to do anything about that. Any tips for me? It might just be a wordpress thing cause it doesn't happen till I o over to your site... hmmmmmm.

The Factchecker said...

Hey you guys sound pretty cool, I'd love to come over anytime and get naked and swap blogging tips...

Rose Marie said...

Well, an Hermes shop would be a nice idea in Hudson you know. I just wish it would be drive-through, like that nice laundromat on Fairview. Sometimes when I'm late for the 9:00 am at St. Mary's I just wish I had something fresh and silky to accessorize with for my entrance when everyone turns to see who is walking in late.